Monday, April 4, 2011

Skipper's Challenge: Get Out of Town


Every now and again (read: as often as possible), you need to get out and experience the world. I'm not talking about running off to Paris to settle that lingering, mid-life crisis; I mean enjoying the bounty of nature that God has provided us instead of sweating in an enclosed room with a rubberised floor and a bunch of poser dudes in sleeveless shirts and backwards hats.

Seeing that I live in Colorado Springs, it's practically cheating when it comes to enjoying nature. No long drives, no romanticising of boring landscapes; just miles and miles of picturesque, rolling mountains bathed in sunlight and draped with evergreens. The above photo was a quick shot taken from my phone camera. It really is that beautiful, here.

My wife and I took a couple of dogs and a couple of friends and headed for the hills for a little steady-state cardio. Nothing too crazy, here (we'll save the crazy hike for another post); just a little elevation and a lot of scenery. The hike itself was a little better than 2 miles, and about 415 ft. in elevation gain (I told you it was pretty tame). Still, I can think of worse ways to exercise over the weekend.

Get out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment